Current health code interpretations do not allow animals except service dogs. The Hawaii State Department of Health was asked in 2010 and 2012 to reconsider their interpretation of the existing administrative rules that prohibit well-behaved dogs and their owners from dining together especially in outdoor eating areas. 2013 presented a new Bill, which can be read here: https://www.hawaiianhumane.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/HB186_.pdf
3 Things You Can Do To Help
• Be respectful of restaurants who support this and either call ahead to make sure circumstances haven’t changed or if they have a separate entrance they’d like you to enter through, or if you can’t call ahead, please first go in without your dog and ask if it is okay. Management greatly appreciates it.
• Learn what was proposed at the 2012 and 2013 legislature.
• Let policy makers know you support restaurants right to choose (State Representatives Cindy Evans and Richard Creagan support this Bill).
Please follow the Etiquette Tips listed below when choosing to bring your dog to a restaurant. While not official, the restaurants in this section will permit your well-behaved dog.
Dogfriendly.com’s Etiquette Tips for Dogs at Outdoor Restaurants
- Make sure your dog is well-behaved around other people and especially children.
- Leash your four-legged friend and keep him or her from socializing with other diners or employees unless welcomed.
- Try to keep your dog close to your table or chair so he or she is not in the waiter’s path. Dogs are not allowed on the chairs or tables.
- Bring your own doggie bowl or ask the waiter for a paper or plastic bowl or cup for water if necessary. Pets are not permitted to eat or drink out of restaurant glasses or dishes, unless they are disposable.
- Remember to tie your dog to your chair and not a table. A dog tied to a table can result in spilled drinks or food if he or she is strong enough to make the table move.
- Always call ahead or ask first to make sure an establishment allows (*or continues to allow) dogs at their outdoor tables. *Circumstances change, we have found!
**ALL OF THESE ARE FOR THEIR OUTDOOR TABLES ONLY!**
Big Island Brewhaus (Kamuela/Waimea)
Island Lava Java (Waikoloa Village)
Kamuela Kitchen and Coffee Bar (Under construction – to be located in front of Mamane Bakery – Opening late 2017)
Kohala Village Hub Pub (Hawi)
Lava Lava Beach Club (Waikoloa Beach)
Local Dish (Hawi)
Minnie’s (Kapaau) – (Unconfirmed by us if dog-friendly, but have heard they allow dogs on lanai)
Nanbu Courtyard (Kapaau) – If your dog doesn’t like cats, we suggest going somewhere else!
Under The Bodhi Tree (Mauna Lani Shops)
Daylight Mind Company (Management asks that humans and their dogs use the northside staircase (via grass lawn or underground parking garage) to access the restaurant)
Dolphin Spit Saloon (unconfirmed by us if dog-friendly, but have heard from many who bring their dogs)
Kona Coffee and Tea (2 locations!)
Longboard Legends Pizza (unconfirmed by us if dog-friendly, but have heard from someone who brings their dog)
Island Lava Java (New Location next to Humpy’s and still dog-friendly!)
Rebel Kitchen (They even have a resident friendly dog named “Gumbo” that your dog is invited to play with!)
Umeke’s Fish Market Bar & Grill (unconfirmed by us if dog-friendly, but have heard from two people who bring their dogs)
Pandamonia’s Paleta Palace (located at Alii Ice – 21 Banyan Drive next to Liliuokalani Park) – Serves doggy popsicles for $1 (flavors: chicken, beef, p-nut butter banana!)
WikiFresh Restaurant (“Yappy Monday” 10% off for those dining with their dogs on the lanai ALL DAY on Mondays)
Cafe Ono (Volcano Village)
Cafe Ohia (Volcano Village)
Hilo Coffee Mill (Mountain View…on your way to Volcano)
Punalu’u Bake Shop (unconfirmed by us if dog-friendly, but have heard from people who bring their dog)
Aulani Asian Cafe (Honokaa) (front outdoor tables only; no alcohol served in front)
Cafe il Mondo (Honokaa)(Have moved to a beautiful new location as of 5/2/16 with even more outdoor seating for polite pups!)
Tex Drive-In (Honokaa)
Hilo Shark’s Coffee (Honomu)
Know of any dog-friendly food establishments?
Please let me know at email@example.com