Flying Your Dog Inter-Island
Traveling inter-island in Hawaii with your pet requires a little extra legwork to ensure your flight is a happy experience for you and your pet. Since traveling requirements vary depending on the size of your dog, take a couple minutes to review your airlines’ pet requirements.
If you are traveling inter-island with a pet, you need to reserve your flight at least 24 hours in advance as the airlines only allow a limited number of animals per flight.
Consider your pet’s safety when flying. Will your dog or cat be able to withstand long delays (a couple to several hours in length) in a non-air-conditioned area?
Aloha Air Cargo
Call 48 hours in advance to reserve a flight. Last-minute bookings can also be accommodated on a space available basis.
Honolulu, Oahu: 808-832-0566
Lihue, Kauai :808-274-3071
Kahului, Maui: 808-873-3556
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii: 808-326-1077
Hilo, Hawaii: 808-974-4141
Costs vary depending on weight and size of container. Calculation estimates are provided on the website. For example, for a medium-large dog (i.e., Doberman, Boxer, Australian Shepherd), the cost would be $130 total one-way.
Expeditions Lahaina – Lanai Ferry
Dogs are allowed on leash; $10 each way.
Toll free: (800) 695-2624
Only cats, dog, and birds are accepted. One pet as carry on per passenger with one animal per kennel.
Carry on kennel: $35 (each way)
Maximum weight (dog and kennel): 25 pounds
Maximum height: 9.5 inches
Check in kennel fee: $60 (each way)
Maximum weight (dog and kennel): 70 pounds
Maximum height: 26 inches
Toll free: 800-367-5320
Additional conditions and charges’ explanation: http://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/659
Check out the requirements on Hawaiian’s web site before traveling with your pet.
**Health certificate NOT required for dogs or cats for inter-island travel.
For pets over 70 pounds, you will need to make special arrangements with Hawaiian Airlines Cargo.
Island Pet Movers
Pet fee: (Contact Island Pet Movers for an estimate.)
Toll free: 808-783-8419
Pet fee: As of April 2014, your dog or cat flies FREE with their human passenger.
Toll free: 866-260-7070
Pets cannot be transported in the baggage compartment. All pets travel in the cabin with their human, the combined weight of the animal and passenger cannot exceed 320 lbs due to weight and balance of aircraft. Pet’s kennel must not exceed 21″ Length X 16″ Width X 8″ Height, and the kennel must fit under the seat. Only one pet container per passenger; two pets per FLIGHT are allowed in the cabin.
Health certificate from a veterinarian NOT required.
Advance arrangements must be made. Contact Reservations.
MOKULELE AIRLINES – PETS IN CABIN (Addendum to Contract of Carriage)
- Pets must be well behaved, harnessed with a leash and/or in a soft kennel, traveling under the control of the traveler and must remain with the traveler at all times.
- MW assumes pets to be cats and dogs for the general term ofPets In Cabin, MW accepts domestic cats only and they must be contained in a soft kennel.
- Pets must be harnessed and/or in a soft kennel that fits properly within aircraft for the safety of the other passengers.
- Pets must be clean (free of fleas, ticks, or any biting insects), well-groomed, cannot be offensive in odor.
- Pets (and/or owner) cannot display any disruptive, unruly,aggressive behavior at any time prior to and during boarding, and especially while during the flight.
- Pets must NOT pose a threat to the safety or health of the other passengers traveling.
- Both the animal and traveler will be seated in row 4 or 5 only, the combined total weight of the animal and passenger cannot exceed 320 lbs due to weight and balance of aircraft.
- MW reserves the right to levy any fees to the traveler/owner, in the event, there is any damages or cleaning fees incurred to the aircraft related to the transportation of the animal.
- MW reserves the right to deny boarding to any breed we deem unsafe per the Pilot and Agents final decision, no other passengers need be involved in this discussion.
- MW accepts most breeds of domestic dogs and cats for flight, see Captain and Co-Captain for final approval, one pet per flight is the general rule, if deemed unsafe or aggressive by nature they must be contained in a kennel if perceived perception exists.
- MW assumes responsibility of final decision on boarding of pet between our pilots and CSA for the final verdict on whether a pet may travel in cabin un-contained or contained harnessed with a leash and/or in a soft kennel
- MW reserves the right to refuse a dog if aggressive by nature,this may include a perceived perception to the welfare of other passengers.
- MW is able to accept most breeds of domestic dogs and cats for flight. In-cabin travel for pets is booked on a space-available basis, MW reserves the right to refuse more than 1 pet per scheduled flight.
- MW reserves the right to deny boarding to the animal if any of the above conditions is in violation or poses a harmful threat to the other passengers.
MW is a Pet Friendly Airline. MW welcomes, without charge, domesticated Dogs and Cats. They must be properly harnessed and remain under the direct control of the Passenger at all times. They do not have to be in a kennel and may sit at the passenger’s feet or under the seat in front of the passenger or carried in the passenger’s lap and not protrude into the aisle or encroach on other passengers in compliance with FAA regulations. MW requires that when traveling with your Pet that you call to advise the Call Center at least 48 hours in advance for any pet arrangements.
MW does not allow animals to travel in our cargo or baggage compartments; therefore, the Pet must be accommodated in the passenger compartment. Should the animal not behave or should start displaying signs of aggression or vicious behavior at our counter, in the gate area, or onboard our aircraft, MW has the right to refuse acceptance of the animal and/or de-board the animal. MW will not jeopardize the commitment of safety to any of our passengers.
Conditions of Acceptance:
Animals must be well behaved, properly harnessed or leashed, travelling under the control of the passenger and must remain with the passenger at all times.
Animals must NOT pose a threat to the safety or health of the other passengers travelling. If the animal is deemed unsafe or aggressive by nature then the animal must be contained in a kennel or harnessed with a leash. Or MW reserves the right as determined by the Pilot/Co-Pilot and/or Customer Service Agent to deny boarding to any dog breed that is deemed unsafe; no other passengers will be involved in this decision.
Animals must be at least 8 weeks old and weaned.
Muzzled, pregnant, injured or ill animals will not be accepted.
Unless required by HDOA (Hawaii Dept. of Agriculture), no veterinarian health certification is required for animals traveling on MW flights.
The animal must be confined in a cage or specifically designed and approved soft-sided pet carrier subject to inspection and approval by MW before acceptance and in conformance with 9CFR or IATA live animal regulations. Soft kennel must fit properly in aircraft for the safety of all passengers.
Environmental conditions must pose no hazard to the safety or comfort of the animal. The animal must be able to stand up and turn around comfortably in its pet carrier. Pet carriers must be leak proof, ventilated on at least two sides and prevent any part of the animal from protruding outside of the container. Containers must not exceed 21”L x 12”W x 8”H. Passengers are responsible for ensuring that the containers meet all governmental requirements for the safe and humane transportation of the animal being transported.
Animals will not be accepted if the temperature is to exceed 85 degrees along any point of the journey.
Excess valuation is not available for animals.
The animal must be harmless, inoffensive, odorless, clean (free of fleas, ticks, or any biting insects), well-groomed, and require no attention during transit.
In the event, the animal (and/or owner) becomes offensive or causes a disturbance during transit; the animal may be removed, at the Captain’s discretion, at the first stop.
A maximum of one (1) in-cabin pets is permitted for each flight. Animals is booked on a space available basis, MW reserves the right to refuse more than one (1) pet per flight.
Both the animal and passenger will be seated in row 5 only, when the combined total weight of the animal and passenger is 320 lbs. in compliance with the weight and balance logistics of the aircraft.
MW reserves the right to refuse carriage of animals at any time.
MW will not be liable for illness or injury to an animal or death of an animal when the animal has been handled by MW with ordinary standards of safety and care or when MW has acted in the interests of the entire flight such as in an emergency or a force Majeure event.
MW will not be liable for loss or expense due to the Passenger’s failure to comply with the provisions of this Rule, including, without limitation, if any animal is refused passage into or through any state or country.
The liability ceiling for MW shall not exceed $2,000 USD in the event of a death of a pet.
The Passenger assumes full responsibility for the safety, well-being, and conduct of its animal, including the interaction of the animal with other Passengers who may come in contact with the animal while onboard the aircraft, and for compliance with all governmental requirements, regulations, or restrictions, including entry permits and required health certificates of the country, state, or territory from/or to which the animal is being transported.
MW reserves the right to levy any fees to the passenger/owner, in the event there are damages or cleaning fees incurred to the aircraft related to the transportation of the animal.
MW will not transport an animal if the animal is in the custody of an Unaccompanied Minor.
MW reserves the right to deny boarding to the animal if any of the above conditions is in violation.
MW will not accept ferrets, rodents, spiders, guinea pigs, mice, rats, rabbits, chickens, roosters, snakes, other reptiles (snakes, turtles, and fish) as in-cabin baggage (hand-carry baggage) OR as service animals. Certain unusual animals/reptiles (whether as service animals or not) pose unavoidable safety and/or public health concerns. Carriage of any other pets as in-cabin Baggage will be at MW’s discretion.